Sep 17, 2005

The week that was.

In a few hours it will be a full week since this drama began. This has been like the storm that was forecast, something which was inevitable, something I knew would be coming, something I was even in the process of preparing for but, like any storm, when it hits you don’t know how intense the fury of the storm will be.

So, there is good and bad in the whole situation. One thing is assured and that is things will change, of that I have no doubt. The question now is how rapidly that change will occur and how well I will weather this storm. In regard to the EYOC, there is very little I can do at this point, he’s seen to that. In a certain bit or irony the person who respected his wishes the most is the one who now can do little to affect the outcome of the situation.

I know I’ll be moving - I just don’t know how soon and where I’m going to wind up.

The other day I was having a discussion with the EYOC and telling him he had to get better so he could “rake the leaves” around the house, no more lying around for him. On the surface, it probably sounds incredibly cruel. The truth of course is he hasn’t lifted a finger around here in a long time but, even though that’s the case what do you say to someone? Do you tell them the time they have is running out?

It’s been my experience from what I have observed that the longer someone has a routine of their own, the longer they are able to do the things they want and live life without being directed what to do, the better off they are. I watched as my Ex’s grandmother, a frail tiny women of her early 80’s, slowly succumbed to the ravages of age. Funny thing is, the woman had been so busy all the years prior to when the deterioration suddenly happened. She took care of her aging and very ill husband, cared for a younger but direly afflicted neighbor suffering from Arthritis and just performed these almost superhuman feats you couldn’t imagine a person of her stature being capable of.

After the people she was caring for passed, her remaining family wanted to leave her ensconced in her apartment with nothing to do but stare at the walls as the time ticked past. She no longer had things in her life to challenge her and in that vacuum, that boredom and ennui she finally allowed herself to succumb. Why not? She no longer had duties to distract her from herself, no longer had things to keep her mind and body occupied. I imagine the days slowed down for her insufferably
and with nothing else to focus on she just let go.

When people no longer are interested in life - it’s not a good thing. Something all of us should take note of.

No comments: